How to Fix Shrunken Clothes : When you throw your favorite sweaters or jeans into the dryer to dry them, they may shrink. Everyone will encounter this kind of situation, and technically speaking, the clothes cannot be recovered after shrinking. Fortunately, you can use some methods to make the fabric fibers loose, and then stretch until they return to their original shape. Most fabrics can do this with water and baby shampoo. Borax or vinegar can be used for wool or cashmere. If you want to save the shrunken jeans, you may be able to recover it by soaking in warm water. After washing and drying, you can put on the fitted clothes again.
How to Fix Shrunken Clothes : Best Remedies 2020
Method 1: Soak knitted fabric with baby shampoo
01: Fill the sink with lukewarm water.
If you ca n’t use the sink, you can change to a bucket or bathtub. Fill at least 950 millilitres of water and be sure to be able to wear clothes. Use room temperature or lukewarm water to effectively relax fabric fibers.
- Do not use cold or hot water. The former cannot stretch clothes, the latter will shrink or even damage them. Must Read: Remedies for Sore Throat
- Note that this method is particularly suitable for knitted fabrics, including clothes made of cotton, wool and cashmere.
- Fabrics made of dense materials such as silk, rayon, and polyester are more difficult to reshape.
02: Mix 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of baby shampoo or conditioner into the water.
Any mild conditioner can be used, but baby shampoo is the most gentle on clothes. Add about 15 ml of baby shampoo for every 950 ml of water. If your clothes have shrunk severely, it ’s okay to put a little more, maybe even better. Must Read: Remedies for Sore Throat
- Gentle shampoo and conditioner will relax fabric fibers without damaging them.
- Be sure to use mild products. Don’t use products on clothes that you won’t use on your hair.
03: Soak the clothes in water for 30 minutes.
If you use a conditioner, the water will not have too much foam. No matter what product you choose to add, soak the clothes in water. Also Read: How to Seduce a Mature Woman
After making sure that the water is completely under the clothes, you can leave it for a while. The water must be warm for shampoo or conditioner to work. If necessary, the water in the sink can be drained and refilled.
- You can also start to gently stretch your clothes during soaking.
- Of course, it doesn’t matter if you don’t stretch now, because the longer the fabric is soaked, the easier it is to stretch.
04: Wring out excess water.
Rub the clothes into a ball. Don’t wash away the shampoo first, but wring out as much water as possible.
- You also need shampoo to continue to loosen the fibers until you finish stretching the clothes. Therefore, wash out the shampoo after reshaping.
05: Roll up the clothes with a large towel.
Lay a clean, dry towel on a flat surface, then put on your clothes. Make sure the clothes and towels are about the same size. Slowly roll up the towel from one end, the pressure will squeeze out the remaining water.
- After completing this step, the clothes should still be wet, but not dripping.
- You can let the clothes continue to bread in the towel for 10 minutes.
- Don’t take too long, otherwise the fabric fibers will become cold and it will be more difficult to stretch.
06: Stretch the clothes by hand to reshape the shape.
Open the towel and transfer the clothes to the dry towel spread on the table. Pull the edges of the wet clothes by hand. Exercise lightly so as not to damage the fabric fibers. It may not be possible to stretch to the shape before it is completely restored, as close as possible to the original shape.
- To more accurately determine how big the clothes should be pulled, you can use paper to cut out the original shape of the clothes. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- Find a piece of clothing of similar size and put it on baking paper to outline the shape of the clothing.
- Then put the wet clothes on the baking paper and stretch the clothes according to the drawn shape.
- If the clothes are difficult to stretch, you can use the steam setting of the iron to soften the stiff fabric.
07: Secure your clothes with books and other heavy objects.
Let the clothes continue to spread on the towel. Stretch one part at a time, reshape to a satisfactory shape and press with a heavy object. If you do n’t have a heavy book, you can use paperweight, a coffee cup, or whatever you have. Finally, the clothes will be packed with heavy objects and cannot be moved.
- If you do not have any heavy objects at hand, you can use clothespins to secure your clothes.
- Just leave the clothes alone and let them dry naturally. If the clothes are severely deformed, consider checking and stretching every 30 minutes.
08: If necessary, wash and dry the clothes again.
If you want the clothes to dry faster, you can hang it and let it dry naturally. Hang it on the curtain rod, hang it with a hanger, or hang it away from heat and direct sunlight. There is no need to wash out the shampoo. However, if you think the clothes feel strange, you can wash them by hand as usual .
- Pay attention to the situation when hanging up the clothes to dry. Gravity will pull the clothes down slightly, especially wet clothes, which may help stretch the clothes.
- If the clothes are not long enough, you can repeat the above steps.
- If the clothing shrinks severely, it may need to be repeated several times.
Method 2: Soak wool and cashmere with borax or vinegar
01: Fill the sink with lukewarm water.
Fill at least 950 millilitres of lukewarm water to ensure that it is sufficient for clothing. The water temperature must be close to room temperature so that the fabric fibers can be stretched without damaging them.
- This method is suitable for fabrics made of animal fibers such as wool and cashmere.
- Fabrics made of plant fibers such as cotton may also be effective, but they must not be used on synthetic fibers or dense natural fibers. Must Read: Remedies for Sore Throat
02: Mix in at least 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of borax or vinegar.
If the clothes shrink severely, you can use 2 tablespoons (30 ml). You can also mix water and vinegar in a 2: 1 ratio. Both vinegar and borax can effectively relax fabric fibers, making it easier to fiddle and stretch.
- Borax and vinegar are very powerful cleaners and must be diluted with water.
- Falling directly on the clothes may damage the fabric.
- It is better to use white wine vinegar instead of distilled vinegar.
- Although both are effective, the former is clearer and gentler.
03: Soak shrunken clothes in borax or vinegar solution for up to 30 minutes.
Wait for the fiber to soften, and then stretch it. You can start stretching the fabric during soaking, but do not remove the clothes, you must let it soak in the water. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- After soaking for 25-30 minutes, stretch the fabric by hand and then soak for another 5 minutes.
04: Wring out as much water as possible.
Exercise lightly so as not to damage the clothes. Rub it into a ball and gently squeeze out excess water. The clothes are still wet, but will not drip. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- Do not rinse the clothes first, let the borax or vinegar continue to work. Wash only after stretching.
05: Put the towel into the clothes to absorb moisture.
Roll several absorbent towels into a ball and tuck them into the shrunken clothes. Use a towel to support the clothes to their original size. Towels can prevent delicate fabrics from shrinking, and you can stretch them by hand without worrying about damaging the clothes.
- As needed, the more towels you roll up, the better, supporting the clothes to their original size.
- Make sure the towel is folded flat, unevenness will cause the fabric to stretch unevenly, even after drying.
- Towels can also help absorb excess water and allow clothes to dry faster.
06: Let the clothes air dry for at least 15 minutes.
Leave the towel in the clothes for up to 30 minutes to help absorb moisture from the clothes. Put some towels on the clothes to speed up the drying process. If you have a way to prevent the rolled towel from falling or shifting, you can also shake your clothes. Must read: How to Have Sex : Best Way to extend sex time 2020
- While waiting for the clothes to dry, check their shape. If necessary, you can gently pull the edge of the fabric and adjust it slightly.
07: Hang the clothes to dry, and then wash if necessary.
Put the hanger into the collar without removing the towel. Let the clothes dry away from heat and direct sunlight. Why not use a clothes rail. After the clothes are air-dried, if they don’t feel as smooth as usual, you can wash them in cold water by hand.
- If you are worried about damaging the sweater, you can spread it on a towel to dry it. Wool and cashmere are very delicate fabrics.
- It is still a good idea to handle very high-end clothes.
- If the clothes are not strong enough, you can repeat the above process several times until you see the result you want.
Method 3: Adjust jeans with warm water
01: Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water.
Fill to at least one-third full. Make sure the water temperature is suitable for people to soak. Hot and cold water not only make the skin uncomfortable, but also damage the jeans.
- If there is no bathtub at home, there are still other ways to stretch the jeans. You can fill warm water in a sink or bucket. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- If you only need to stretch a few places, consider spraying warm water to these parts with a spray bottle, and then pulling to restore the original shape.
02: Put on your jeans and start stretching them.
After putting on the jeans, try to zip up and fasten the buttons. If you can’t wear it at all, you need to wash it by hand. Before stretching the fabric, close the zipper and fasten the buttons.
- Try to restore the jeans to their original shape. If it can be squeezed into the jeans, it will be easier.
- Don’t force on too tight jeans.
03: Soak the jeans in water for about 15 minutes.
The water softens the jeans, and since you already wear them, they will be stretched automatically. You need to sit in the bathtub for a long time. The longer you sit, the better the effect. Soak for at least 10 minutes, or until the water cools. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- The water must be completely over the jeans. Fully soaked fibers will be more easily pulled.
- If you do n’t plan to soak in the water yourself, soak your jeans in a sink filled with water, or use a spray bottle for 10-15 minutes.
- Later, if you want, you can put on your jeans.
04: Wear jeans for 1 hour, or stretch by hand.
The easiest way to restore shrunken jeans to their original size is to wear them. Jeans will become heavy after absorbing water, so be careful when stepping out of the bathtub. If this is too much trouble, you can take off your jeans and stretch the edges by hand. Try to stretch the fabric gently.
- If you decide to wear jeans, move as much as possible. Walk around, jog, stretch or dance to stretch the fibers.(How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- Focus on the most stretched parts. For example, if the waist needs to be adjusted, then bend over to stretch the waist.
05: Take off your jeans and hang them to dry.
Hang wet jeans on a clothesline or clothes rack and find a well-ventilated place to dry the fabric, but keep away from heat and direct sunlight. During the drying process, gravity will also stretch the jeans down.
- Don’t put the jeans back in the dryer to dry them. Must read: How to Have Sex : Best Way to extend sex time 2020
- Heat sources can cause clothes to shrink. Direct sunlight can also fade jeans.
Some tips for remove the musty smell of clothes:
06: Use laundry-free laundry detergent.
If the moldy coat is dry-cleaning clothing, then you can’t immerse it in water. Disposable laundry detergent does not need to thoroughly wet the layers of cloth to effectively clean the surface of the clothes, so the clothes will not be so easily deformed. It is a bottled concentrated solution similar to ordinary laundry liquid, which can be found in the laundry area of the supermarket.
- It is usually necessary to mix a bottle of disposable laundry detergent with a few liters of water and then pour it into the spray bottle.(How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- Spray on moldy clothing until slightly moistened in all moldy areas.
- Hang the clothes outside where there is plenty of sunlight and wind. After the clothes are dry, the musty smell should be gone. Also Read: How to Reduce Belly Fat on your Body
- If there is still musty smell, then repeat the above process.
- Note that this method will still slightly wet the fabric, so do not use it on leather, suede and other fabrics that cannot touch water.
07: Immerse the clothes in boiling water.
If the clothes are severely moldy and you are reluctant to throw them away, you can try immersing them in boiling water to kill mold spores and eliminate moldy odor. This method can only be used on high-temperature washable clothing, such as towels, sheets, and other strong linens. Soaking delicate fabrics in boiling water can damage the fibers. Kill the mold with boiling water as follows:
- Bring a large pot very hot water. You have to prepare enough water to fully soak the moldy clothes.
- Put the clothes in another large pot. Pour boiling water on clothing until it is fully wetted.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Wring out the water. If the clothes are still hot, you can wear rubber gloves.
- Put it in the washing machine for washing as usual, and then hang it outside to dry.
08: Use ammonia.
Ammonia has a strong smell and is harmful to the lungs. Make sure that the laundry room is well ventilated before use. Put the clothes into the washing machine, without adding any washing powder or washing liquid, and run the washing program directly.
After the washing machine is filled with water, pour 240 ml of ammonia and continue the cleaning process. After washing the first round, run the second round of cleaning program, this time using only washing powder. Then hang in the sun to dry.
- Never mix bleach and ammonia. Mixing them together will produce a gas that can cause lung damage if inhaled into the body.
- Handle ammonia water carefully. Wear clothing that covers the skin of the whole body to prevent ammonia from splashing on the skin. In case of accidental inhalation, leave the laundry room and let yourself breathe fresh air. (How to Fix Shrunken Clothes , Remedies)
- If you feel dizzy, contact the poison control center immediately.